Serum Obsession & Confusion

Hi Everyone,

As a side note to my beauty routine, I had ignored the concept of using a anti-ageing serum as part of my nightly beauty routine. I hadn't given it a second thought and nor did I really need to. The adverts didn't persuade me to try it and nor did the celebrity endorsements. I just didn't want to give it a go.

However, I have coved in recent days. It was a matter of days when I picked up my mum's Chanel Blue Serum and tossed it between two hands wondering wether or not to use it. It was time and something that I had seen many women include into their routine.

I was skeptical and unsure as to how a serum might interact with my skin. Given that mine is extremely tempremental, all of those women with sensitive, oily and combination skin will feel my pain. Anything harsh and I end up with a rash or worse acne.
However, given that I am on the quest for that 'radiant glow' and supple skin. I thought I would add it into my nightly routine.

So, here's the lowdown...


There are a few serums out there that have been designed for women who have exceptionally aged skin, those with a few wrinkles and those just moving forward and thinking about ageless beauty. Then there are those who think they might need a anti-ageing serum in their night time routine. That's me.

Succumbing to the serum trend and in the pursuit of ageless skin. I took the time to research, look-up and find comments on the products that have become part of our FMCG (aka: fast moving consumer goods, aka: products to use!) world. From the one's that make you glow, that smooth fine lines, tone wrinkles, fight the 7 signs, that claim to tighten to the ones with botanical natural ingredients.

I was deeply shocked and profoundly terrified by just how many their are, out there. It's a serious business and I assume a serous amount of exposure, brand wise, and it's not just serums. It's creams, masks and sprays too.

I had stumbled upon one comment in my research, that was from a woman around my age. She commented on how she was looking to get into using a serum as part of her beauty routine. But, was in that difficult age gap of still being young but, not old enough to go for the big guns.

And so was i! I have found there is a definite age gap in the serum market. Beauty companies are marketing their products to the older woman with serious aged skin and not to those looking to start. Which in turn, makes their products harsher for the skin.
Then, people my age who are looking to start a serum regime end up with worse off skin due to the hardness of the serum or become overwhelmed by the amount of the different types of serums out there. That then turns us off from using those serums.

But why now???

For those of you are are either turning 28 or 27 this year now is the time. Basically because, they say that when you hit the age of 30 physiological processes within your body begin to either turn off or slow down. Then, the stresses of life begin to show.
So, the more you do now in your skin care routine and look after your health, wellbeing. The better chances you have later down the track.

Other life inclusions include, taking the time out to sleep, increasing fruit and veg, and adding in excercise into your weekly routine, depending on what you do. Also, fun fact, did you know that an increased level of oxygen in your blood can help fight free radicals and decrease your biological clock.

Equation

Adding in a serum now + A healthy diet + Adding in some r & r + Exercise = Age Gracefully!

Well that's part of it, now back to skin care.

What to do?

Step One: Research, research, research. One of the best methods to use when you are confused and in the dark. Plus, you can read first hand from individuals and health professionals on what are the best ingredients to look for and brands to use

Also, don't forget to read the comments section below each serum. It's very handy.

Step Two: Head out into the shops, feeling knowledge savvy and full of information. Go into your local drugstore and talk to the pharmacist and the beauty assistants, who are full of knowledge and guidance. First hand knowledge is key.

Explain to them what you are doing, what type of skin you have and what things aggravate your skin. They can give you some top quality information and one-on-one guidance.

Step Three: Identify aggravators, skin issues, disorders, hormonal imbalances and allergies. Then schedule time with your local GP, tell he/she what you plan to do and what you want to achieve in a new skin care routine.

Step Four: Serum sample. Of the brands that you have been recommended, the ingredients that you know are the best to use for your skin and what you can afford to splash the cash on.

Hint: One evening, get all of the samples out and allot a time where you can test them out. Place a small drop of each on the inside of your arm, never on your face. Keep a record of each one used on a note pad and a photograph.

Then the next morning photograph the spot of where you tested out the serum and compare.

Step Five: Repeat step four. Three times to ensure the best result. Also, it can take sometime for some skin types to show a result.

Step Six: Your done. Ready to include into your skin care regime.

What am I using???

As my skin type is sensitive, oily and combination. I had to find a serum that included ingredients that would not upset my ph and balance of natural recurring oils on my skin. During the day or at night. I needed a brand that was affordable enough but, not so cheap that the ingredients were compromised or of not a high quality.
I also share a similar skin type with many of the women in my family and my mum. So, it made it much easier to determine the correct serum to use.

I use...

The Chanel Blue Serum!

My Routine

Morning
  • Double Cleanse
    • Using Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Facial Wash Gel // For Oily/Combination Skin
Night
  • Cleanse Once
    • Using Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Facial Wash Gel // For Oily/Combination Skin
  • Serum
    • Using the Chanel Blue Serum
    • Use the Chanel Blue Serum for Under Eyes
  • Moisturise
    • Using Avene Skin Recovery Cream
Side note: Moisturising your skin after serum application helps to lock it in!

I hope this help's in your serum quest and provides you with some guidance as to how to go about it.

Please feel free to leave a comment below on what you are using, doing and/or have a question about serums.

Love,
Anna xx




Comments

Popular Posts